Areas of Practice:
Real Estate/Land Use Planning and Zoning
Labor and Employment
Estate Planning, Administration and Taxation
Business Restructuring and Creditors’ Rights
Thomas “Ty” Moore Lawson is an attorney at Thomas Moore Lawson, P.C. and also serves as Of Counsel to Williams Mullen. He represents businesses and individuals in both the public and private sectors. For more than 30 years, Ty's practice has been devoted to real estate, land use planning and zoning and litigation. A native of Oakton, Virginia, Ty relocated to Winchester in 1991 and has practiced in the Northern Virginia and Northern Shenandoah Valley regions since that time.
He has argued and tried cases in federal and state courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court, the Supreme Court of Virginia and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. He appears regularly in state and federal courts throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia and the State of West Virginia. He also represents clients in both the sale and purchase of manufacturing companies transacting business worldwide.
Ty was appointed by Governor Youngkin to serve on Virginia's Commonwealth Transportation Board in 2022 for a four-year term. The Commonwealth Transportation Board consists of 17 members appointed by the Governor. The Board oversees transportation projects and initiatives for the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Ty has been selected to the Virginia Super Lawyers list (2020-present). Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, is a rating service that selects the top five percent of attorneys in the state based on independent research and peer reviews. He has also been named among the 'Legal Elite' in Real Estate/Land Use by Virginia Business from 2018 to present and is rated an AV preeminent attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating available.
Ty is a member of the Virginia State Bar, West Virginia State Bar, and the Winchester/Frederick County Bar Association, and he is admitted to practice in the U.S. District Courts and Bankruptcy Courts in both states. He is also a member of the Litigation, Corporate Counsel and Local Government Law sections of the Virginia State Bar and a member of the Boyd-Graves Conference. He is a past chairman of the Virginia State Bar Seventh District Ethics Committee and formerly served on the Board of Governors of the Virginia State Bar's Litigation Section.
Ty previously served as a member of the Board of Directors for Trex Company, LLC (Trex Decking), as a member of the Board of Trustees for Highland School, as the secretary/treasurer for the Shenandoah Valley Manufacturers' Association, and as a board member for Lord Fairfax Community College Educational Foundation, Clarke County Educational Foundation, Shenandoah Valley Telecommuting Center and National Fruit Product Company, Inc. Ty also previously served as Chair of the Winchester Area Alumni Admissions Program (AAP) and was the Annual Fund (UG) Class Agent for the Class of '83 for Washington and Lee University.
He is the founding principal of Thomas Moore Lawson, P.C. from its inception in 1994. He received his J.D. from George Mason University School of Law, and his B.A. from Washington and Lee University. Prior to his practice in the private sector, Ty was a law clerk to the Circuit Court Judges of the 31st Judicial Circuit (Virginia).
- Virginia, 1988
- West Virginia, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 1988
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Virginia, 1991
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of West Virginia, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of West Virginia, 1994
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of West Virginia, 1994
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of West Virginia, 1994
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1989
- Supreme Court of Virginia, 1988
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia, 1994
- George Mason University School of Law
- Washington and Lee University
- Judicial Law Clerk, 31st Judicial Circuit, 1987-1988
Awards and Honors:
- Virginia Super Lawyers - 2020-present
- AV Rating - Martindale-Hubbell
- Virginia's 'Legal Elite' in Real Estate/Land Use
- Commonwealth Transportation Board
- Trex Company, LLC (Trex Decking) - Board Member
- Lord Fairfax Community College Educational Foundation - Board Member
- Clarke County Educational Foundation - Board Member
- Virginia State Bar Seventh District Ethics Committee - Chairman
- Virginia State Bar, Litigation Section, Member - Board of Governors
- Shenandoah Valley Telecommuting Center - Board Member
- Shenandoah Valley Manufacturers’ Association - Secretary/Treasurer
- National Fruit Product Company, Inc. - Board Member
- Highland School Board of Trustees - Member
- Washington and Lee University, Winchester Area Alumni Admissions Program (AAP) - Chair
- Washington and Lee University, Annual Fund (UG) Class Agent, Class of '83
- Virginia State Bar - Member
- West Virginia State Bar - Member
- Winchester/Frederick County Bar Association - Member
- Virginia Bar Association Boyd-Graves Conference - Member
- Virginia Super Lawyers - 2020-present
- Virginia's 'Legal Elite' in Real Estate/Land Use - Member
- Commonwealth Transportation Board - Member
- Fairfax, Virginia, United States of America